Monday 8 August 2016

Rape jokes are not funny!

Most of us are guilty of spreading rape jokes. I confess I have been guilty of this, thousands of times. But rape jokes are not funny. We should not beat about the bush on this matter. Rape jokes are simply not funny! They do not even enter the realm of ‘jokes.’ It should actually be a crime to spread such messages!







Sense of humour

On social networks, it is a norm that when someone comments that a certain joke is not funny, she or he is slapped with, “It is just a joke. Where is your sense of humour?” Imagine that nonsense! So many societal wrongs are condoned and accepted simply because they are reduced to jokes. They are reduced to ‘sense of humour’ and before we know it the scourge worsens in the midst of our tears of humour.




Let us all come together and stop belittling rape and making it a joke of the year. Rape victims need not be stigmatised by such lame jokes. They need our support. They are our sisters, brothers, fathers, mothers, daughters, sons, and so on. They need to know that they will get our support whenever they have been violated. But I speak about ‘they’ as if I can never, or have never, be violated. I also need to have belief that I will not be turned into a joke whenever I am raped.


I will end there, with the hope that everyone is on board. 

No comments:

Post a Comment